Countdown to NaNoWriMo...

National Novel Writing Month is less than a month away. The good news is, last night I just got clobbered over the head with an idea that should work very easily within the demands of that particular event. The better news is, I've got a month to ponder the possibilities before committing anything to the page, so I should be ready to hit it as soon at November 1 rolls around.

The, um, not so good news is that I'm still logjammed at about 23,000 words on my current project and I'm not sure I'll be able to wrap it up by the end of this month. I think I may just do what I can in the remaining time and then shelve it while I plow through NaNo and then return to it in December. (One of the luxuries of being as-yet-unpublished is that I can do things like this without sending editors into cold sweats. Though, speaking of, I do need to get my other manuscript packed up and sent out again. Two rejections is hardly enough to prove the thing useless.)

I am encouraged by the fact that when I described the first scene of my NaNo idea to someone, his response was "That's kinda creepy." "I know!" I said cheerfully, "But you want to find out what happens next, don't you?"

Heck, I know I do. The annoying part is, even as I can plot out the generalities in advance, I'll have to wait until November to find out exactly how it unfolds.

Comments

Shannon said…
I know the feeling. I'm bogged down (literally right now) in my WIP and I'm thinking about setting it aside to join in on NaNoWriMo next month with a different idea that just won't leave me alone. But I feel really guilty about not just sticking to my WIP. It's almost like I'd be cheating on it to work on something else, even if it's just for a month.
Sheila O'Shea said…
Collin -- Merci!

Shannon -- Go ahead and have a torrid affair with your other idea for the duration of NaNo. You'll find it can put the spark back into your current work upon your return to it.

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo: The Aftermath

NaNoWriMo Day 22: Just the Stats

NaNoWriMo Day 30: The End